Friday, January 15, 2010

My Ridge Vent leaked and has caused icicles to form on every nail in one side of my roof. How do I fix this?

The roofer says to replace the ridge vent because it was improperly installed, by the builder, and that they left the nails uncovered Also he recommended to take out one panel board (inside the attic which is covered by blackrot from the ridge vent to the soffits. The insurance company says Im covered.





However we've just had another snowstorm (BEFORE the roofers began the replacement) and now i see a sheet of ice which covers EVERY BOARD INSIDE MY ATTIC ON ONE SIDE OF THE HOUSE FROM THE RIDGE VENTS TO THE SOFFITS.





Is just replacing the ridge vent alone going to solve my problem now? Don't I need new shingles or panel boards (since the boards are covered with a sheet of ice???)My Ridge Vent leaked and has caused icicles to form on every nail in one side of my roof. How do I fix this?
try insulating between the ceiling joists and have tile vents fitted . The heat from your house rises and hits the cold roof causing condensation, the insulation stops the heat escaping and the vents give you a circulation of fresh air keeping you attic dry. it will also save you money because you wont lose so much heat keeping your heating bills down.





13 minutes ago - Report AbuseMy Ridge Vent leaked and has caused icicles to form on every nail in one side of my roof. How do I fix this?
This is one of those instances where it would be great if we could just see it!





I get icicles on my attic nails due to water vapor from using a ventless fireplace to heat the whole house. The combustion process generates quie a bit of moisture that seeps into the attic via the trap door. This condenses on the nails. Conceiveably you could have a simialr experience if your bathroom vent(s) dump into your attic and not outside.





I know you mention that this ocurrs after a storm, but I don't know if that is the only time you are checking? In other words, if it only happens after precipitation, you've got a leak as you've been informed. But if it only happens because its cold, your moisture is coming from inside your home.





The boards can take some water. You probably don't need new ones. If only the vent was buggered up, your shingles may be fine. I can't say I've heard anyone else having this type of problem, and everybody is getting ridge vents these days.
go pull them all down, cause when it thaws do you want it out side, or in??

No comments:

Post a Comment